Sunday, October 01, 2006



Kick up your heels for SOCKTOBERFEST 2006!!!

I'm a relatively recent sock addict, but so far all my socks have been plain stockinette or ribbed.  I am constantly ogling all the sexy sock patterns, totally and passionately enamored of a few patterns I've worshipped longingly from afar for several months. I've done a fair bit of lace work in tops but nothing fancy in the sock department yet. So I set my personal Socktoberfest challenge: this month I am planning to make a pair of Pomatomus and a pair of Baudelaire, as well as finishing the mates to all of my sad lonely sock singles.

Uh oh.  I am hooked on the toe-up version; either on dpns or magic loop, various provisional cast-on methods, short-rows (preferred) or increased - but I always go for the toe-up approach: I just love the way the toe box looks and feels, I can adjust for fit as I go, and I don't have to worry about how much yarn I have, I just start at the toe and knit until it's done (because Koigu is a terrible thing to waste).

Alas, the lovely Pomatomus is knitted top-down.  So it looks like I'm going to have to convert this pattern to a toe-up direction. Aaack! I'm pretty confident juggling sweater patterns, but I don't really think in "sock" yet, so I'm not all that eager to reverse the pattern direction myself. Hmmm... I think I'll be getting some good old-fashioned advice for this one.

No comments: